Chaz sets new qualifying record
Frosty fast on hards, not so fast on soft tyres.
The Pepsi Max Crew's Chaz Mostert has set a brand new qualifying record to top off a standout day at Sydney Motorsport Park and has advanced to second in the championship points.
The young-gun took home his tenth pole position cheque for the year after qualifying on pole for both races, before taking home the first place trophy in race 21, and third place in race 22.
Mark Winterbottom started second on the grid in the first race before a strong start saw him side-by-side with Mostert until turn three.
Frosty eventually finished second before an eighth place finish in an uneventful race 22.
Rain will threaten tomorrow's 52 lap race where the temperature will drop dramatically from the last two days.
Mark Winterbottom - #5 Pepsi Max PRA Ford:
Race 21 Quali: 2nd
Race 21 Result: 2nd
Race 22 Quali: 8th
Race 22 Result: 8th
"On the hard tyre we were really good and I thought we were pretty competitive. The soft tyre was just changing a bit. Normally at the rounds they don't make a massive difference but here it seems to be a lot different. We'll try and fix it, it was still a great result given the way the car felt and stuff so we'll fix her up and see what tomorrow brings. We've had a really good weekend. It's going to make us work but if we fix it it'll be rewarding and hopefully we'll have a good day tomorrow."
Chaz Mostert - #6 Pepsi Max PRA Ford:
Race 21 Quali: 1st
Race 21 Result: 1st
Race 22 Quali: 1st
Race 22 Result: 3rd
"It's great to get the ten pole positions in a row. We're trying really hard at the moment and the car is really good over one lap. I've been really fortunate, I got my first ever pole this year and now I'm on a bit of a hot streak. It was awesome today to pole the soft tyre as well because generally we're fast on the hard one and on the soft one we might be third or fourth so that was a big step up for us. This weekend we've just been struggling with a little bit of balance stuff so we'll get on top of that for tomorrow."
Tim Edwards – Team Principal
"We're on a pretty good roll at the moment. Another one two is great for the team and for Chaz to get third in the second race was also fantastic. We've got a great package at the moment and they're making the most of it even though those normal struggles are still there. If Chaz gets his balance right and the rain holds off tomorrow we'll be looking to have another strong day."
SYDNEY MOTORSPORT PARK SUPERSPRINT RESULTS – SATURDAY
1) Chaz Mostert – Pepsi Max Crew
2) Mark Winterbottom – Pepsi Max Crew
3) Jamie Whincup – Triple Eight
4) David Reynolds – The Bottle-O Racing Team
5) Craig Lowndes – Triple Eight
1) Jamie Whincup – Triple Eight
2) Fabian Coulthard – Brad Jones Racing
3) Chaz Mostert – Pepsi Max Crew
4) Scott McLaughlin – Garry Rogers Motorsport
5) Shane Van Gisbergen - Tekno
8) Mark Winterbottom – Pepsi Max Crew
DRIVER CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS
1) Mark Winterbottom – Pepsi Max Crew: 1858
2) Chaz Mostert – Pepsi Max Crew: 1591
3) Craig Lowndes – Triple Eight: 1582
4) David Reynolds – The Bottle-O Racing Team: 1531
5) Fabian Coulthard – Brad Jones Racing: 1442
1) Pepsi Max Crew: 3449
2) Triple Eight: 3025
3) HRT: 278
- See more at: http://www.prodriveracing.com.au/news/2015/08/22/chaz-sets-new-qualifying-record#sthash.9crUHZGJ.dpuf